The Building Department issues permits necessary to enforce the building codes, city and state requirements, and provides guidance for your building projects.
A permit is necessary to engage in construction of or changes to any of the following:
- Accessory buildings or structures
- Commercial and residential buildings
- Excavation/grading or demolition
- Monument, building, or temporary signs
- Special events including an outdoor sales event, seasonal sales event or temporary site uses
- Plumbing, mechanical, or electrical work
Please Note: Effective November 26, 2021, the 2015 International Codes for Building, Residential, and Swimming Pool and Spa, State of Iowa Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical and Fuel Gas code, all with local amendments are adopted and will be enforced on all construction permits submitted and constructed thereafter in the City of Johnston. Generally, city staff made very few changes from previous code amendments and requirements; however, a published change in the shear wall bracing provisions of chapter 602.10 of the International Residential Code has been changed and will require your design attention. Additionally, please refer to the State of Iowa Energy Code for changes to return air ducting provisions and system sizing.
If you have questions on the above-described action, please contact Adam Ostert, Building Official by calling (515) 727-7767.