The City of Johnston provides water, sewer, stormwater, solid waste, and recycling services for residents and businesses.
Metro Waste Authority provides solid waste collection for all single and two-family homes in Johnston. Garbage bins are due curbside by 6 a.m. the day of pick up. Residents may contact the Utilities Clerk or (515) 727-7772 for questions about Solid Waste.
- Monday - Pick up for residents west of NW 86th Street
- Tuesday - Pick up for residents east of NW 86th Street
To Begin Service
- Contact the Utilities Clerk at Johnston City Hall, at (515) 727-7772.
- Register with Metro Waste Authority (MWA) for email updates. Residents can sign up to receive emails from MWA that contain helpful tips and pick up delays due to weather or other situations.
Service & Billing
- Garbage collection is included on your monthly City of Johnston water bill. Click here to see current garbage rates (PDF).
- Holiday schedules can be found on the Metro Waste Authority website.
- To report a missed collection or cart maintenance, contact Metro Waste Authority at (515) 244-0021 or online.
Not sure what can be thrown away or recycled? Check Metro Waste's Recycling and Disposal Guide for helpful information.
- Bulky items and large waste will be collected on normal collection days. Include a $1 sticker for each bag, box, or item that does not fit in the collection bin.
- Contact Metro Waste Authority at (515) 244-0021, to arrange for pick up for appliances or other large items.
- Stickers for extra garbage, bulky waste, and appliances are available at these locations.
Mid American Appliance Recycling Program
A $50 rebate is paid for each qualified refrigerator or freezer, and a $25 rebate is paid for each qualified window air conditioner. Additional information is available or you may contact MidAmerican Energy (800) 621-2757.
Hazardous Waste, Electronics Disposals, & Other Landfill Services
Residents may use local landfills and services to dispose of items not included in regular solid waste removal. Access Metro Waste Authority for information regarding rates, services, locations, and more.
The City of Johnston has a great way to get rid of hazardous waste --- things like motor oil, fertilizer, weed killer, antifreeze, aerosol cans and gasoline. We've teamed up with Metro Waste Authority for house-side pickup of these items. Using this program ensures these items are disposed of in an environmentally-friendly manner.
- Please fill out this form (PDF).
- Visit Johnston City Hall, 6221 Merle Hay Road, during normal business hours to pay $25 (cash or check only) and receive two red bins.
- Take the bins home and fill them up with hazardous waste.
- Call 515.333.4434 to schedule your pickup.
- Set the bins at your front door on day of scheduled pickup.
- Please visit one of the monthly Northwest Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Events in Grimes. A permanent Hazardous Waste Drop-Off is located at the Metro Northwest Transfer Station in Grimes. The site is 1.5 miles northwest of I80/35 and Highway 141. Drop-off is open the second Saturday in the months of March through December from 8 a.m. to Noon.
Until now, the western suburbs were without a convenient hazardous waste drop-off site with consistent hours. While the new site offers many benefits, improved environmental protection is near the top of the list. The site is designed for the acceptance of hazardous materials, so it’s equipped with safeguards to protect the ground water and the environment.
Bring up to 75 pounds of common household hazardous materials free of charge, including motor oil and filters, antifreeze, fertilizers, batteries, hazardous cleaners, fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs), rust removers, oil and lead based paints and more. In addition, latex paint is accepted for a fee of $1 per gallon or $5 per five gallons.
- You may also visit the metro hazardous waste facility located at 1105 Prairie Drive SW in Bondurant during business hours. They’re open Tuesday - Friday from 1 to 5 pm and Saturday from 8 am to noon. Call 967-5512 for more information.
For a complete list of accepted and non-accepted materials and more information about the Northwest Drop-Off location visit this web page.