Garbage, Recycling & Yard Waste
GarbageMetro Waste Authority provides solid waste collection for all single and two-family homes in Johnston.
Garbage bins are due curbside by 6 a.m. the day of pick up.
- Monday - Pick up for residents west of 86th Street
- Tuesday - Pick up for residents east of 86th Street
To Begin Service
- Contact Johnston City Hall, at (515) 727-7772 or email.
- Register with (MWA) for email updates. Residents can sign up to receive emails from MWA that contain helpful tips and pick up delays due to weather or other situations.
Service & Billing
- Garbage collection is included on your monthly City of Johnston water bill. Two sizes are available. See fee Information (PDF) for current rates.
- Holiday schedules can be found on the website.
- To report a missed collection or cart maintenance, contact Metro Waste Authority at (515) 244-0021 or online.
The City of Johnston participates in the Metro Waste Authority's Curb It! Recycling and Compost It! Yard Waste programs. These services are available in all single and two-family homes in Johnston.
Recycling is picked up curb side the same day as trash collection - learn more at Metro Waste Authority (MWA)
- Monday - Residents living west of 86th Street
- Tuesday - Residents living east of 86th Street
- All plastic bottles that are necked or have twist-top lids, along with margarine and yogurt tubs, can be recycled through the Curb It! program
- Rinse out plastics, glass, and aluminum items before placing them in your cart, no need to remove labels
- Hairspray, shampoo and conditioner bottles (take out the pumps)
- Margarine and yogurt containers are blended into the recycling mix and allowed because of the small quantity of these containers
- Medicine and vitamin bottles
- Milk, juice, water, and soda bottles
- Plastic food jars (think peanut butter) and salad dressing bottles detergent and fabric softener bottles
Yard WasteBagged yard waste can be left curbside. For yard waste to be collected, it must be bagged or bundled properly. Residents can purchase Compost It! bags or use their own kraft style bag with a sticker affixed. Learn more at Metro Waste Authority.
Questions related to the Compost It! program, carts, collection, can directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Residents are also welcome to call the Metro Waste Authority office at (515) 244-0021.
Premium Yard Cart Service and RenewalThe Compost It! cart is run as a subscription service through Metro Waste Authority. If you’re a new customer, you pay a one-time fee for the cart itself plus the annual sticker. Once you have a Compost It! cart, you just pay to renew your sticker each year.
To request a cart or renew your sticker, visit www.WhereItShouldGo.com/CompostCart.
New carts with the sticker are delivered within 10 business days, and renewed stickers are mailed by early March so you can replace it on the lid of your existing cart before yard waste season officially begins!
What Else You Can Throw in the Bags or Carts?Garden waste (unpicked tomatoes and vegetables) can also be composted – but no food scraps. If it was served on a plate, put it in your trash or garbage disposal.
Branches should be securely tied together in bundles no longer than 48 inches or wider than 18 inches. Individual branches cannot exceed two inches in diameter. A Compost It! sticker must be attached to each bundle.