Requesting a Police Officer
The Johnston Police Department is able to provide uniformed police officers for dedicated security and traffic control services at public and private events that are held within the city limits of Johnston. The City of Johnston requires the presence of law enforcement or a security firm if alcohol is served at a private event on city property and it is expected to involve more than 50 people. The City reserves the right to determine when law enforcement or a security firm is required at an event.
If you wish to have a uniformed police officer provide security or traffic control at your event, you will need to review the City’s Special Events Policy (PDF) and complete the Police Officer Security Request Form (PDF) and submit it to the Johnston Police Department. Forms may also be emailed to the Johnston Police Department. Requests should be submitted at least 30-days in advance of the intended event date.
- The City of Johnston will invoice the event organizer after the event has concluded. Invoices are processed each month, and payment is due within 30 days of receiving the invoice. Payment can be made in the form of cash, check, credit card, or money order.
- The Security Officer fee is $60 an hour/per officer, with a minimum fee of $120 per officer
- If the event runs shorter than originally scheduled, full payment will still be required for the entire original pre-scheduled time.
- If the event runs longer than originally scheduled, the event organizer will be invoiced for any additional time the officer works the event, to the nearest 15-minute increment. This is subject to approval from the officer working the event.
- The event host will be subject to a cancellation fee of $120 per officer on all cancellations that are made with less than a 12-hour notice.
Cancellations must be received at least 12 hours prior to the event’s scheduled start time. Cancellations made with less than a 12-hour notice will be subject to the minimum hour's charge per assigned officer.
Event requests are posted approximately one month prior to the date of the event
- When the event request has been filled, the Johnston Police Department will contact the designated event host to confirm the event date and time(s) and provide the event host with the name(s) of the officer(s) scheduled to work the event.
- There are times when an off-duty event is worked by an officer with an outside agency. In those instances, direct payment may be due to the outside officer at the time the event is worked. The Johnston Police Department will notify the event organizer prior to the event in these instances.
- Officers working an off-duty event will be in uniform and provide a general law enforcement presence, but they will not engage in activity outside of their normal scope of duties.
- Unless otherwise directed, officers will be positioned immediately in/around the event facility, where they can monitor event activity and be accessible to attendees, if needed. In events that require traffic direction, officers will be positioned in a location where they can monitor the traffic safely and provide traffic direction as needed.
- If an urgent situation or emergency circumstances arise that necessitate that an officer leaves an event before it is concluded, they shall notify the facility manager (if applicable) and/or the event host. A refund for any remaining time may be requested by contacting the Johnston Police Department the following workday.
- The City will determine which security firms are approved to contract for special events. Security personnel will be unarmed. Their primary responsibility will be to observe, report and request assistance from Johnston police personnel as appropriate.
- Cancellations, questions, or comments should be directed to 515-278-2345, or firstname.lastname@example.org.