Regulating City Property

The City of Johnston regulates the use of all property within the city limits through its Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Map.

Persons wishing to rezone their property must submit a Petition for an Amendment to the Official Zoning Map and follow the normal rezoning process. Upon acceptance of the petition by the City Council, notice is sent to all properties within 320 feet of the property and the property owners are required to post a sign on the property indicating the time and place for the public hearing.

Property owners with questions regarding the rezoning process should contact Community Development Department at 515-727-7778.